Subject: Upgrading: 1.4.3 or 1.5 on SPARC?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/28/2000 16:15:51
I'm running 1.4.2 on an SS20/71 at home and 1.3.3 on an SS20/71 at work.

Is there any compelling reason to upgrade either to 1.4.3, on the SPARC
platform?  Other than the -fPIC vs. -fpic issue with /usr/lib/c++rt0.o being
changed, I couldn't really see any major SPARC-specific changes to compell me
to upgrade to 1.4.3.  I get the feeling that 1.5 should be out (when?) Real
Soon Now, and with the changeover to ELF, that will require a big effort (total
reinstall), so it feels like maybe that's the best thing to wait for before
upgrading.  Is that the general consensus?

(Please respond here as it's the only NetBSD mailing list I'm still on.)

	- Greg