Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.4.3 On Sparcstation 2
To: Lloyd I Freese Jr <dwarf@Op.Net>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/28/2000 10:00:55
Lloyd I Freese Jr wrote:

> Hello,
> First off, I'm a complete newbie to Sun hardware. I do have some
> experience with NetBSD though.
> I just got my hands on a Sparcstation 2 and I'm trying to get NetBSD
> 1.4.3 working on it. I was able to install it using the boot floppies
> but I can't get it to boot (it did boot with SunOS). When it tries to
> boot it says:
>
> checksum bd006d42 != 3a5a8103
> trying to boot anyway
> instruction access exception
>
> I made the changes to Open Boot (I think that's what it's called)
> that are mentioned in the FAQ. Also, NetBSD's root partition is the
> same as SunOS's was (reformatted of course).
>
> Any help would be most welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Lloyd

Lloyd,
this may well not be it but when I have seen these messages in the
past (with sunos installs not netbsd) it has usually been something
to do with the boot blocks I installed. For instance once I used an
installboot program from solaris 2.5 to do the boot blocks for a sunos
4.1 transplant and this was a no go. (Got the checksum error.)
I had to use the sunos installboot program. Since the netbsd install
would use it's own installboot program this is probably not the problem.

But it may give you some things to think about.

Paul.

> --

> "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from
> mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Paul      (pts@bom.gov.au)
National Climate Centre
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology