Subject: Re: very strange ethernet problem
To: Tod Daniels <tod@dca.net>
From: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/30/2000 21:42:14
On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 09:09:14PM -0500, Tod Daniels wrote:

> I'll agree with Jeremy on this (in fact, he finished typing just before I
> did... :-)
>
> SQE was originally a way for a transceiver to determine the functional
> state of its collision-detection circuitry.  In essence, it occasionally
> transmits a "jam" pattern onto the medium.  This would be viewed as
> collision by all your ethernet nodes (including the hub).
>
> Turn it off.  This "feature" has been obsolete for years now...
>
> tod

It's a good theory, but unfortunately one of the first things I checked.
The SQE feature is jumpered to OFF on both my AUI->UTP transceivers.  The
problem persists.  All it takes is either one or both Suns to be connected
to my LAN.  The common denominator is that they're both running NetBSD, and
both using ethernet transceivers.  One of the two transceivers is brand new,
so I doubt there could be something wrong with BOTH transceivers.

A simple test I've done is connect either or both Suns to the LAN, and do
a "ping -s 1024 foo", from one local machine to another local machine.  It
doesn't matter if one of these machines is one of the Suns in question.
I immediately see collisions, and missed echo replies.  Tcpdump shows
NOTHING while the collisions are happening, simply echo requests with no
replies.  No other traffic.

VERY strange.
Any theories???

-Mark