Subject: Re: boot net-tpe help(again!)
To: None <msspal@gbso.net>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/27/2000 17:18:02
> While watching /var/log/messages on the server I see the Classic connect
> to tftp, but nothing happens on the classic, after about 5 minutes
> Classic reports it can't find file.
>
> I've tested tftp as the HOWTO suggests and find that I have to enter
> "get /tftpboot/AC100007.SUN4M" or else I get an "Access Error" from
> tftp.  The HOWTO explains that the full path to the file may need to be
> entered into the bootparams file?
>
> client root=nfsserver:/export/client/root
> tftboot=/tftboot/AC100007.SUN4M

Is that a typo?  I hope you meant "tftpboot=/tftpboot/AC100007.SUN4M" there.

> would that be what is meant?
>
> i tried setting boot-file in the Classic PROM to
> /tftpboot/AC100007.SUN4M........didn't work

Don't do that, there's no need to.  Doing a "boot net" automatically looks
for a TFTP server (well, maybe more recent PROMs with DHCP support might
do something different; I dunno).

Here's one thing to try:

On your client's boot server, do this:

	# cd /tftpboot
	# ln -s . tftpboot

Remember that "in.tftpd" on most systems is set up to be run in "secure" mode,
with the "-s" option.  This means that it does a "chroot()" to that directory
(usually "/tftpboot") first, before handling any TFTP requests.  So, if the
TFTP server daemon has chroot()'ed to "/tftpboot" already, and the request
comes in for "/tftpboot/AC100007.SUN4M", it will look for a "/tftpboot" -
based on "/" being already set to "/tftpboot" because of the "chroot()"!  So
you make a dummy "tftpboot" in "/tftpboot" pointing to "." to make the
pathname resolution come out right.  This bit me once upon a time in the
ancient past, and I've reflexively always added that symlink to "/tftpboot"
ever since (though I realize any semi-modern machine will ask for the Hex
file name alone, and not pre-pend "/tftpboot/" to it).

	- Greg