Subject: re: sun4u-5 boot hangs...
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/24/2000 13:46:04

   Move the device code, even locore, over to sys/arch/sparc.  Add the
   sun4u-32bit (hypersparc-emulation) support to sys/arch/sparc/conf/GENERIC,
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

not sure exactly what this is supposed to mean...

and i'm not sure i ever planned on merging the 32-bit code into sparc's
GENERIC... i'm not sure we'll ever get to the stage where a single
kernel will boot on both.  i once hoped for this, well before i learnt
of eeh's code, but it would be insanity i believe.

   obliterating sys/arch/sparc64/conf/GENERIC32 (which you seem to have planned

actaully, this is so that we can maintain a single file and be able to build
both 32-bit & 64-bit kernels.  conf/GENERIC .includes this file and then adds
the 3 options necessary for 64 bit kernels.

   already).  All you will have left in sys/arch/sparc64 is a "conf" directory
   with "GENERIC", a full LP64 kernel that identifies itself as "sparc64".

actually, i don't mind this all that much.