Subject: re: sun4u-5 boot hangs...
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/23/2000 21:44:10
On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, matthew green wrote:

:    :    : because the ultimate plan (tm) is to eventually have just /sys/arch/sparc
:    :    : with both 32-bit & 64-bit support all in here.  also because we want it
:    :    : that way and have been asking for it for a year or more.
:    :
:    :    This has some serious implications for the uses of MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH.
:    :    Were you planning to keep those as "sparc64" for a 64-bit-native system?
:    :
:    : of course.  the only thing that really will change is the location
:    : of files.  the point of the change is that >90% of the code is the
:    : same still and re-sharing it is a sane thing to do.
:
:    That doesn't imply sharing sys/arch/XXX.
:
: maybe not, but it is what will happen in this case.

Discussed to concensus by whom?

We have prior art here.  This should be evaluated, not dictated, if it's
going to break the prior art.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/