Subject: Re: SLC netboot 1.5_ALPHA2 boot failed
To: Chris Rupnik <chrisr@geeknet.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/16/2000 14:33:18
On Mon, Oct 16 2000 at 08:00:43 -0400, Chris Rupnik wrote:
>  I am getting the following error when netbooting a SLC. From the archive,
> it looks like the problem is due to the 4MB simms. I do not have the option
> to put 16MB simms on this machine to get it to boot. A couple of messages
16MB simms don't work in SLCs...

> The boot.net file is dated Aug 29 15:04, 62000bytes boot.net

> 13200 >> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.9
> >> (root@dora.int.purplei.com, Fri Aug 25 05:44:39 BST 2000)
> Booting netbsd
> Illegal Instruction
> ok
I get the same with /that/ boot.net...

It's not your SLC that's broken, it's this file.
(Perhaps it's compiled with optimization/instructions für sun4m machines?
(gcc option -mv8))

You can pick up a boot.net that works (at least for my sun4cs and sun4ms)
here: http://seti.heh.uni-oldenburg.de/boot.net

(Or try the new snapshot pk announced a few minutes ago.)
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.