Subject: Re: SparcStation 10 and scsi termination
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/12/2000 22:13:01
At 23:33 Uhr +0200 21.9.2000, Hauke Fath wrote:
>At 22:55 Uhr +0200 21.9.2000, Matthew Jacob wrote:
>>I thought internal drives were all unterminated (i.e., on stubs).
>
>You mean, the strange 50pin plugs contain termination resistors? Or, that
>the distance between the cpu scsi bridge (always active) and the internal
>disks is so small that termination shouldn't be needed?
>
>The two Seagate Hawks that the ss10 came with were not terminated,
>either... but then, they didn't create parity errors...

As a late follow-up: I finally opened up the last connector on the SCSI
cable, and, yes, it contains an array of resistors. So termination has to
be switched _off_ on drives that go into an SS10.

The flood of parity errors when combining an SS10 and Quantum Atlas III
disks appears to be a NetBSD issue; I set up the SS10 with Solaris 7 (I had
wanted to do that anyway, because of ISDN support), and it is performing
flawless with the disks.

	hauke