Subject: Re: bootloader trouble on sun4
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/09/2000 08:14:18
> Bootloader versions 1.9 or above don't seem to work on sun4. The
> boot.net in that comes with 1.4.2 displays its header and then
> crashes. Booting from disk just gives me an mvmap error. Has anyone
> else had similar problems? V1.8 seems to work, except with
> 1.4.2-sun4-netbsd.ram, which causes an illegal instruction while

Strange - I rebooted mine yesterday (added a new disk) and I noticed that
it has version 1.9.  Boots fine.

> Is there a nicer way to install via netboot than going through
> the trouble of setting up an NFS-root environment and then installing
> from there?

I think the miniroot image is the nicest, but you do need to have a bootable
OS already installed.  Not really that much chioce for machines without
floppy and/or CD.  Theoretically, it's possible to boot from tape too.

> Btw, I finally got NetBSD installed on my Sun 4/330. I had to
> put in 1.4.1 though because of the bootloader and incompatible
> install kernel in 1.4.2. After the installation as I began compiling
> software packages the system disk died horribly in a head crash.

Hmm, I have a couple of Sun0669 disks spare.  I don't suppose you are in the
UK?  Postage anywhere else will probably be more than they're worth.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/