Subject: re: port-sparc/10607: bus_space_alloc/bus_space_free not present on sparc port
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/31/2000 22:15:55
   In some email I received from Paul Kranenburg, sie wrote:
   > > 	In /sys/arch/sparc/include/bus.h, both bus_space_alloc and
   > > bus_space_free are commented out.  Unless there is another path to
   > > follow, these functions are needed for writing a PCMCIA driver for
   > > the stp4020.
   >
   > I cannot think of any meaningful implementation for bus_space_{alloc,free}()
   > for the Sbus. An sbus stp4020 driver should probably look for other
   > ways to implement pcmcia_io_alloc() et.al.

   I looked (briefly) at other bus_space_alloc()'s and they seemed to be
   based on "extents".  Does this mean that NetBSD/sparc won't support
   "extent" mappings for SBUS machines ?

the sparc port sure can use extents -- extents are used all over the kernel.
i believe what pk means is that the *concept* doesn't make sense.  sbus
devices don't need to "alloc" space... they already have it allocated to them,
it just needs to be mapped in to place..

   > A pcmcia `chipset interface' manual page is also sorely missing, btw..

   You mean as in pcmcia(9) ?

yah.