Subject: Re: Can't netboot JavaStation 1
To: Steinar Hamre <steinarh@stud.fim.ntnu.no>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/18/2000 03:03:17
On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 00:44:15 +0200, Steinar Hamre wrote:

> > I'm trying to boot NetBSD on JS1 (the brick, OpenBoot 2.30) with a
> > prospect to utilize them as terminals.  I'm using 20000620-1.5 snapsot
> > from ftp.netbsd.org.
>
> Both 200006*-snapshots seems to panic on the javastation when entering
> multi user.

It has not gone that far yet ;-)

Since I read this list for quite some time (run SS1 at home) I'm aware
of the problem.  That's why I asked if ALPHA2 snapshot is going to be
available.

> > JS loads the boot.net over TFTP and dies:
> >
> >     Boot device: .... File and args: /netbsd
> >     13200
> >     The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.
> >     ok
>
> It looks like you are using SUN's inetboot. You should instead get the
> NetBSD one from /usr/mdec/boot.net in base.tgz, put this in /tftpboot
> and point the symlink for this client to it.

No :-(.  That's the boot.net from installation/netboot (identical to
the one in /usr/mdec from base.tgz; checksum ok).

Is the 13200 number in the message above is ok?  Have boot bits been
updated recently?  Perhaps some can send me a fresh boot.net if it has
changed since the the time the snapshot was taken.

Unfortunately I don't currently have a dedicated NetBSD/sparc box at
the office to upgrade from the snapshot to -current myself.

Thanks.

SY, Uwe