Subject: Re: Sparc graphics and other random ramblings...
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: Gerald Richter <glassman1@neonshadow.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/14/2000 22:33:04
Eduardo Horvath wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Gerald Richter wrote:
>
> > ... Has anyone contemplated the idea of making an sbus card with a
> > modern chipset? :o) I think it'd be cool to have like a double wide sbus
> > card with a voodoo 2 or TNT chipset...
>
> There's little point in trying to get new chipsets running on SBus
> cards.  It's a bit like putting a set of modern high performance racing
> tires on a model T.  The host machines and backplanes usually can't handle
> it.
>
> If you want better performance you should go with a PCI machine and use
> the PCI cards, or go whole hog and use UPA graphics adapters.
>
> Eduardo Horvath

I wasn't thinking of something for major production, just a niche
product for those of use that wanna play with more bits in the graphics
card... Kinda like that G4 slave core I wanted to build for my 4/110 if
I ever got that going...

-Gerald

--
* glassman1@neonshadow.net ->  Lord  Phear  <- ICQ UIN 8838302     *