Subject: Re: redirecting console messages
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Brian A. Seklecki - Stargate Industries, LLC <lavalamp@stargate.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/11/2000 06:44:00
[getting way off topic here]

One of my co-workers has an app for CommieOS (aka, Linux) that sets the root X
window to a background jpeg image, and then transparetly scrolls console message
ontop of if the background.  I'm sure it could be compiled to run elsewhere.

Cheers,
-lava

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Greywolf wrote:

> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:45:49 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
> To: "Brian A. Seklecki - Stargate Industries, LLC - NOC"
>     <lavalamp@stargate.net>
> Cc: Robert Muir <rmuir@looksharp.net>,
>      Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>, port-sparc@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: redirecting console messages
>
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Brian A. Seklecki - Stargate Industries, LLC - NOC wrote:
>
> # Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 02:31:43 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
> # From: "Brian A. Seklecki - Stargate Industries, LLC - NOC"
> #     <lavalamp@stargate.net>
> # To: Robert Muir <rmuir@looksharp.net>
> # Cc: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>, port-sparc@netbsd.org
> # Subject: Re: redirecting console messages
> #
> #
> # You'll need to run xconsole as root (start an xterm, "exec su -", then run
> # it).  Or you can reroll your kernel so that anyone can access the console.
> # There's a note in the sparc FAQ somewhere on this.
>
> options UCONSOLE
>
> ...or you can take the pains to set up xdm and run xconsole in the
> Xsetup, or you can pray to the full moon with a mouth full of tequila,
> squeezing a lime in when it's at its zenith and then lick some salt,
> or...no, that's for getting the 24-bit support to work.
>
> I believe that at the moment there is only 8-bit support in the kernel
> for the tcx, but apparently you should be able to boldly hack where
> few have hacked before and you can get full 24-bit going.
>
> Then you'll be a hero.
>
> I'd try it if I had a S24 card -- I'd KILL for 24-bit graphics on
> my SPARCstation!
>
> Considering how many cards exist out there for the PC that can do
> 1152x864 (at least) at 24-bits deep, I consider it criminal that Sun
> didn't make it more affordable for their platforms.
>
> 				--*greywolf;
> --
> BSD: We Suck Less

Brian A. Seklecki                       Stargate Industries, LLC
Network Operations Center               http://www.stargate.net/
The Crane Building, Suite 300           (412) 316-STAR x7719 - voice
40 24th St.                             (412) 316-7899       - fax
Pittsburgh, PA  15222                   BSeklecki@Stargate.Net