Subject: Re: redirecting console messages
To: Brian A. Seklecki - Stargate Industries, LLC - NOC <lavalamp@stargate.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/10/2000 00:45:49
On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Brian A. Seklecki - Stargate Industries, LLC - NOC wrote:

# Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 02:31:43 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
# From: "Brian A. Seklecki - Stargate Industries, LLC - NOC"
#     <lavalamp@stargate.net>
# To: Robert Muir <rmuir@looksharp.net>
# Cc: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>, port-sparc@netbsd.org
#
#
# You'll need to run xconsole as root (start an xterm, "exec su -", then run
# it).  Or you can reroll your kernel so that anyone can access the console.
# There's a note in the sparc FAQ somewhere on this.

options UCONSOLE

...or you can take the pains to set up xdm and run xconsole in the
Xsetup, or you can pray to the full moon with a mouth full of tequila,
squeezing a lime in when it's at its zenith and then lick some salt,
or...no, that's for getting the 24-bit support to work.

I believe that at the moment there is only 8-bit support in the kernel
for the tcx, but apparently you should be able to boldly hack where
few have hacked before and you can get full 24-bit going.

Then you'll be a hero.

I'd try it if I had a S24 card -- I'd KILL for 24-bit graphics on
my SPARCstation!

Considering how many cards exist out there for the PC that can do
1152x864 (at least) at 24-bits deep, I consider it criminal that Sun
didn't make it more affordable for their platforms.

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: We Suck Less