Subject: Re: Sparc Classic dilemma
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/01/2000 13:22:14
> IIRC you can't read Sparc written filesystems in x86 boxen and vice
> versa due to endian difference.

You can if the machine you're trying to read it on runs NetBSD...and
you had the foresight to build a kernel with FFS_EI turned on.

Disk labels are more likely to be a problem.  I've improved sunlabel so
that it's capable of being used a la mbrlabel, to set the in-core
disklabel to match the "foreign" on-disk label.  (Copies available on
request, as always.)

> You need to put the disk into another sparc.

Or other big-endian machine, though the label may be an issue.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca