Subject: Re: SparcStation 5 vs. 10
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/31/2000 22:56:56
> SM71 SuperSPARC II

I've been using <$100 boxes (ELC, SS2, Classic, LX) and got really used to
the SS2 for my inet async dial and the LX for my news, mail, etc.  A
couple months ago I borrowed a SS5/110MHz and slid my LX drive onto it
(external, easy plug-n-play) to see if I should upgrade.  It was faster,
but not worth another $200-300.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a SS20 with the SM71 for my Solaris
antics and did the same test of sliding the drive over.  There's a streak
on the chair from the kick that I saw.  I know the SM71's to be swifter
than the SM61's and comparing soup to nuts, I'd take the SS10/20 with a
SM61 or SM71 long before a SS5.  64M with a 1G disk is enough to get
going, so finding a suitable SS10/20 for <$400 is pretty easy.

My $0.02 and a stained chair.

peter