Subject: Re: SparcStation 5 vs. 10
To: None <garry@linuxstart.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/31/2000 22:24:08
On Wed, 31 May 2000 garry@linuxstart.com wrote:

> Why do SparcStation 5's generally cost for than 10's?  I see some on
> ebay going for $400+
> >From what I've read, 10's are "better" than the 5's.  Tnx for the help
> (I'm new to Sparc architecture..).

Are you sure that they're configured equivalantly? Peripherals and
memory for Sun systems tend to be fairly expensive, so that can
make a big difference in price. And, of course, don't forget the
most important `peripheral,' the CPU. :-) (Sparcstation 5s have a
CPU built on to the motherboard, generally it's 75, 85 or 110 MHz.
SS10s have mbus slots for the CPUs, so you may see systems sold
without a CPU.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   http://www.netbsd.org
  Human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on which we hammer out tunes