Subject: Re: Dual framebuffers on SS2?
To: Anthony DeLorenzo <gonzo@vex.net>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/23/2000 10:56:49
> Is it possible to use two framebuffers/displays with NetBSD/sparc on
> an SS2?

I can't speak personally about the SS2 in particular.  But I've run
two-framebuffer SPARCs enough; my major home machine at present is an
IPX on which I'm using both the onboard cgsix and an add-on bwtwo.

> Is there a FAQ or HOWTO covering how to run dual displays?

There's no particular "how" to it, as far as I can tell, unless you
want the console to go somewhere other than where the PROM code puts it
by default.  (So far I've always been happy with the default, so I know
nothing about making it go elsewhere.)

To respond to some other messages on the subject too,

>> works fine. I'm doing it on an SS5.  Just plug the two framebuffers
>> in and presto.
> How do the X servers handle keyboard/mouse input then?  I've been
> curious about that for a while, but haven't tried.  Since they're
> different X screens, they have to have 2 separate [logical] keyboards
> and mice, right?

Wrong. :-)  A single *server* can manage multiple *screens*, as someone
already said:

> one keyboard, one mouse.

And that's exactly what I have on the IPX I mentioned above: one
keyboard and mouse with one X server running, supporting two screens.
In principle it's possible to connect up another keyboard and mouse and
run two servers, each managing one screen, one keyboard, and one mouse.
This would be slightly nontrivial for various reasons (some hardware,
some software), but it definitely could be done.

However, this last message went on to say

> You move the mouse from screen to screen and type in the window that
> has focus.

which is partially misleading.  By default, the mouse moves between
screens by moving off the left or right edges of the screens, but it
doesn't have to be so; the pointer can move between screens due to
XWarpPointer calls, and if you run the server with -zaphod that's the
only way.  (Me, what I did was to write a small client whose raison
d'etre was to provide clickable warp-between-screens functionality.)

As for the last bit, well, yes, you always type in the window that has
focus, by definition.  But the conjunction of that with the first part
of that sentence produces an implication that focus always follows the
pointer, which is a window-manager-specific thing and not always true.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca