Subject: Re: 24-bit X for the SPARC 20 SX graphics subsystem with 8MB VSIMM?
To: Craig Dewick <cdewick@lios.apana.org.au>
From: David C. Myers <myers@iname.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/12/2000 07:23:20
> 8-) I thought that might be the case... The standard Xsun24 code from the
> Open Group does not work correctly with any of Sun's 24-bit capable
> framebuffers from past experience. Sun have their own special kernel modules
> for X on the cg14's, so I suspect the code to support them is quite unique
> and probably something Sun are not willing to release information about (in
> typical Sun fashion).

I was goofing around with Xsun24 a few months back, using it in
conjunction with a driver I wrote for the Parallax line of 24-bit Sbus
cards.  Never could get things working properly.  A test program I wrote
could scribble 24-bit values into the card's memory all day, and
appeared to work correctly.  Xsun24, however, showed totally screwy
colors, and within a few minutes would lock the machine up hard.

Being a novice kernel hacker, I couldn't tell if my driver was doing
something wrong, or if Xsun24 was simply broken.  So I just gave up.  I
still recoil in fear from that afternoon I spent perusing the Xsun24
source code...

It claims to support 24-bit mode on CG8 adapters; has anyone tried it?

-David.