Subject: Re: 24-bit X for the SPARC 20 SX graphics subsystem with 8MB VSIMM?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Craig Dewick <cdewick@lios.apana.org.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/11/2000 02:46:22
greywolf@siteROCK.com (Grey Wolf) writes:

>On Wed, 10 May 2000, Erik Fair wrote:

># I have a SPARCstation 20 equipped with an 8MB VSIMM for the SX
># graphics subsystem. NetBSD recognizes it thusly:
>#
># cgfourteen0 at obio0 slot 2 offset 0x0 level 8: cgthree emulated at
># 1280x1024x8bpp (console)
># cgfourteen0: attached to /dev/fb
>#
># This is actually capable (according to the documentation I have found
># - mostly the Sun Frame Buffer FAQ) of doing 24-bit deep, but starting
># Xsun24 only gives me 8-bit windows.

>I don't suppose it helps to note that on the NetBSD/sparc supported
>hardware list that the cgfourteen/S24/tcx only support cg3 emulation
>at the moment.

8-) I thought that might be the case... The standard Xsun24 code from the
Open Group does not work correctly with any of Sun's 24-bit capable
framebuffers from past experience. Sun have their own special kernel modules
for X on the cg14's, so I suspect the code to support them is quite unique
and probably something Sun are not willing to release information about (in
typical Sun fashion).

Regards,

Craig.
--