Subject: Re: 24-bit X for the SPARC 20 SX graphics subsystem with 8MB VSIMM?
To: Erik Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/10/2000 17:04:24
On Wed, 10 May 2000, Erik Fair wrote:

# I have a SPARCstation 20 equipped with an 8MB VSIMM for the SX
# graphics subsystem. NetBSD recognizes it thusly:
#
# cgfourteen0 at obio0 slot 2 offset 0x0 level 8: cgthree emulated at
# 1280x1024x8bpp (console)
# cgfourteen0: attached to /dev/fb
#
# This is actually capable (according to the documentation I have found
# - mostly the Sun Frame Buffer FAQ) of doing 24-bit deep, but starting
# Xsun24 only gives me 8-bit windows.

I don't suppose it helps to note that on the NetBSD/sparc supported
hardware list that the cgfourteen/S24/tcx only support cg3 emulation
at the moment.

#
# What needs to be done to support this 24-bits deep?
#

I suspect it's a matter of proper memory mapping and shotgun register
debugging, and it's a matter of finding someone with the time and
interest to do so.

#
# The answer(s) should be added to the NetBSD/sparc FAQ...
#
# 	curious,
#
# 	Erik <fair@clock.org>
#

				--*greywolf;
--
	OpenSource is NOT exclusive to Linux.  Explore your options!