Subject: Re: INSTALL kernel size [and my 4/110] :o)
To: Gerald Richter <glassman1@neonshadow.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/06/2000 11:35:29
On Fri, 5 May 2000, Gerald Richter wrote:

> Heh. Patches so that the sun 4/110 worked under 1.4.x remote boot would
> be nice too... :oP I've been trying for a couple of months on my network
> and recently spent 6 hours at a friends house a couple nights ago with
> my sun 4/110 trying to get 1.4.x to remote boot over the network.
>
> My network is composed of too many windows boxes and a single linux box
> (Slackware 7 distribution) and I managed to get these results:
>
> The 1.4.2 remote bootloader is broke. The 1.4.1 boot loader works fine.
> 1.4.1 kernel doesn't do anything, the 1.4.2 kernel loads up and
> repeatedly transmits a rarp, which responses were sent to, however the
> kernel never saw the responses and eventually timed out. The boot
> process was monitored by tcpdump and the console (where the kernel
> claimed it was an NFS problem.) Notably when I told it to retry the ie()
> for it's root the ie() driver started complaining of problems.

	Can you try booting the 1.4.2 ramdisk containing kernel?
	Also, could you try a bootloader from a -current snapshot.

> The friends network is composed of 2x SS2 (OpenBSD), IPX (OpenBSD RB),
> IPC (OpenBSD), i486 (NetBSD), and 1486 (Debian/Linux). Trials against
> his network managed to give us these results:
>
> OpenBSD's NFS was totally incompatible with the remote bootloaders, as a
> result the kernel couldn't be downloaded. The NetBSD machine wouldn't
> handle rarp requests (not sure why, this threw us for a loop), and his
> linux box got results similar to mine.

	What version of NetBSD do you have on the server - I believe there
	were some issues with rarpd for a while.

> My 4/110's only functional drive is an old QIC unit in a shoebox (no
> inboard drive space on this thing). The two EDSIs that came in the
> shoeboxes are dead and I haven't managed to attach another scsi drive
> inside the shoeboxes and have it work yet. The scsi cables are old 3 pin
> row monsters outside, and 50-pin ribbon on the inside.

	I remember them well :)

		David/absolute
				       -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --