Subject: Re: INSTALL kernel size
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/05/2000 16:28:09
> >    Does _anyone_ boot sparc's off floppy?

Yeah, me, on all my sparcs.  It is the preferred boot, since they
all have floppies, and may or may not have a CD up or a network or
a tape up at any given point in time.

> I did once on an IPC just to prove to someone that it could be done, but
> none of my current machines even have floppy drives.

If you have a floppy, keep it handy for when all else fails.  Good juju.

> If I wanted to boot from anything other than disk/net/CD, I'd want to
> boot from SCSI tape.  I have several possible boot drives, including an
> original external QIC-150.

I guess floppies are becoming like boot tapes...... dinosaurs.

Still, it is a good viable boot method for standalone use.
I, for one would hate to see it disappear.  Have we grown so big
that it now will take two boot floppies, like FreeBSD?  OpenBSD
still boots off one floppy.  How did they do it?

Just thinking out loud.....

Bob