Subject: re: INSTALL kernel size
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/04/2000 18:46:17
[ On Friday, May 5, 2000 at 02:35:55 (+1000), matthew green wrote: ]
> Subject: re: INSTALL kernel size
>
>    Does _anyone_ boot sparc's off floppy?
>
> i do/have.

I did once on an IPC just to prove to someone that it could be done, but
none of my current machines even have floppy drives.

If I wanted to boot from anything other than disk/net/CD, I'd want to
boot from SCSI tape.  I have several possible boot drives, including an
original external QIC-150.

PC's have to boot from floppies because they can't boot easily from
anything else -- sparcs can boot from almost anything, and can always
boot from the network, so they shouldn't have to be able to boot from
floppy, especially given the extreme restrictions these devices
typically have in comparison with any other possible boot device.

--
							Greg A. Woods