Subject: INET6 needed for INSTALL?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/04/2000 12:32:40
Moving this from port-sparc as it would be best to have one solution.
The sparc boot.fs no longer fits on a 1.44 floppy.

While it is probably inevitable that we will have to use multiple
floppies eventually, I'm not about to undertake doing that.

In looking at what can be removed to drop the size of the embeded
ramdisk, INET6 looks like a good candidate.  Are there in fact any
sites out there that would use INET6 to install NetBSD - other than
"because they can"?

Right now lots of Makefiles (even those under distrib) have an
unconditional:

CPPFLAGS+=-DINET6

I've not yet measured how much this bloats the size of individual
binaries and unfortunately because of the above, its not trivial to build
a boot.fs without INET6 to see...

I'd prefer that INET6 were handled in the same way as SKEY, KERBEROS*
ie.

The Makefiles should:

.if defined(INET6) && (${INET6} != no)
CPPFLAGS+=-DINET6
.endif

or perhaps better:

CPPFLAGS+= ${INET6}

and set INET6=-DINET6 to enable?

I can then build a bootfs without INET6 and hopefully it will squeeze
into a floppy again.

--sjg