Subject: Re: Remote booting with 1.4.x?
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Gerald Richter <glassman1@neonshadow.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/02/2000 08:10:03
>         Some linux nfs implementations more or less work, others are
>         less fortunate. If you are running a recent redhat then you'll
>         need to tell mountd to respond to nfs2 requests only, otherwise
>         the stupid thing responds to nfs3 requests, but when the client
>         tries to actually perform an nfs3 operation, it is ignored.

Yeah, the howto pointed that out... The serving box is a slackware 7.0,
newer kernel and a few upgrades here and there.. I've rebuilt the rpc
deamons from source, tho it's possible they could still be messing up.

> > What I have is my Sun 4/110 manages to get as far as all the way through
> > kernel startup to mounting the root, which is an nfs share on my linux
> > box and then crashes trying to mount root.
> >
> > I'm looking for bright ideas to maybe get this working, anyone?
>
>         Send the exact error message, plus /etc/exports on your server.
>         (I would say run NetBSD on the server, but lets try to fix the
>         problem first :)

:-> The log (last 7 lines copied from console)
nfs_boot: timeout...
nfs_boot: timeout...
nfs_boot: timeout...
nfs_boot: bootparam whoami, error=60
no file system for ie0
cannot mount root, error = 79
root device (default ie0):

:-> the /etc/exports file
/export/client/root 10.1.2.139(rw,no_root_squash)
/export/client/swap 10.1.2.139(rw,no_root_squash)
/export/client/usr 10.1.2.139(rw,root_squash)
/export/client/home 10.1.2.139(rw,root_squash)

-Gerald

--
* glassman1@neonshadow.net ->  Lord  Phear  <- ICQ UIN 8838302     *