Subject: Re: Sparc Classic serial (zstty) max bps
To: Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/25/2000 12:51:41
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Tim Walls wrote:

> All,
>
> This weekend I managed to finally get my Sparc Classic demand PPP-ing,
> routing and NATing happily away - many thanks to everyone who replied
> to my last (slightly off topic) email about getting ipnat to work :-).
>
> My only remaining question <grin> is of the serial port speed.  Can the
> serial port of the Sparc Classic (and pppd) be coaxed into working at
> speeds > 38k4?  After much fiddling I thought I had minicom talking at
> 57k6 (it could have been lying,) but I can't convince pppd to do
> the same.

[snip]

Although it may be possible, I've never had any luck with it.  IIRC, the
lower end models (SS1, SS2, IPC/IPX) don't have great uarts; I believe
they have small or nonexistant FIFOs in them.  I've never had anywhere
near blazing performance on my SS1, SS2 or IPC.  YMMV, though, as I gave
up without too much experimentation...

Hope this helps,

-Jon
 "Core dumped.  Your fault."