Subject: solved! (Re: hmm, i must be doing something wrong)
To: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: nm <nm@vt.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/2000 11:39:40
At 10:15 AM 4/22/00 +0100, Julian Coleman wrote:
>> So I have an IPX.  I am trying to boot off of a floppy disk so that
>> I may install version 1.4.2 of my favorite OS.  I type
>> 'boot floppy netbsd' at the openboot prompt and I am rewarded with
>> "Data Access Exception"
>
>There were some problems in -current with the memory layout in 4c's.  This
>might be the same.  If you have a 4Mb SIMM in the first bank, you might run
>into this.  Can you put a 16Mb in the first bank and then try?

Woo hoo!  I swapped the order of my 16 and 4 MB simms and now the system
works great... both NetBSD 1.4.2 and OpenBSD 2.6 boot.

Maybe we should mention this somewhere in install.txt?  I guess it is
a hardware conifguration problem, but the previous configuration did work
with 1.3.3 (without any hint of problems).

Thanks Julian

Nick Maniscalco