Subject: Re: Kernel panic on disklablling sparcstation1 netbsd-1.4.2...
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/21/2000 17:50:33
> >I was trying to bring up NetBSD-1.4.2 on my sparcstation1.  It booted the
> >miniroot from swap (in OpenBSD-2.6) fine, and came up through the disklabel
> >fine, but died trying to write the disklabel with a kernel panic, dump,
> >and abort to reboot.  Offhand, anyone know what might be causing this
> >kind of response on a 4/60 sparcstation1.  It loaded just fine on my
> >IPX, last night, but not on the old SS1, today.
>
> I have a SS1 running 1.4.2. Since it doesn't have a floppy, I did the
> install over the net with zero problems. I opted to use a ramdisk
> kernel rather than using the miniroot.

I also tried the March 31 and April 12 snapshots, and those trashed
the console video on the SS1, not even getting up any farther than
the sysistall start, before I chickened out and hit the L1-A.

Is there anything about prom versions in these early SS1's that give
rise to booting problems?

I may have to try a netboot of 1.4.2 on the beast.....

Oh, well...

Thanks

Bob