Subject: Re: time to reinstall...
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: nm <nm@vt.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/21/2000 15:48:51
At 03:18 PM 4/21/00 -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:
>> I have an IPX system and somehow the contents of the disk (NetBSD
>> 1.3.3) has become corrupted.  So it is time for me to re-install
>> with 1.4.2.  I want to boot from a floppy disk.  What files should
>> I dd to floppy?  It was not obvious from the names and the install.txt
>> file did not seem to specify which to use.
>
>I just did that.... works fine, but needs a small termcap fix.

Thanks Bob.  I am dd'ing the floppy right now.

On a side note, I think I now know why my root fs became corrupted.

As usual it was my fault for abusing my hardware.  I plugged in a brand
new scsi disk to the external scsi connector of my IPX.  At the time
my IPX was running 1.3.3 quite happily... before I ran a little program
to rescan the scsi bus (so that I could use the new disk) I noticed odd
things such as ld talking about bad magic, and /usr/local/bin/bash not
being found... then I noticed that /bin/sh could not be found, nor could
/etc...

Guess I screwed it... Just got lucky the previous 100 times or so that I
have done something similar ;)

Oh well, no harm done.

Nick Maniscalco