Subject: Re: Detecting zs keyboard
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/14/2000 17:25:44
> I've been thinking about changing the way the keyboard/mouse are
> configured so instead of hardwiring them to a particular zs instance,
> have them check for the `keyboard:' OBP property and fail to attach
> if it does not exist.  That way we can wildcard all the kbd/ms/zstty
> device nodes.

I don't like the prospect.  Why?

Because it makes it impossible to hook a keyboard up to a normal serial
port with level-shifting electronics and then proceed to configure it
as and use it as a keyboard.  (Yes, I have done this.)

It also makes it impossible to use the level-shifting electronics in
the other direction to use the keyboard and mouse ports as serial
lines, a la the FOUR_TTYS config the sun3 has.

Unless of course there would be a way for the config file to override
the autodetection either way, in which case I withdraw my objection.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca