Subject: Re: Remote boot for Sun 4/110 box
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Gerald Richter <glassman1@neonshadow.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/06/2000 11:15:39
Brad Spencer wrote:

>    I picked up a Sun 4/110 and i'm trying to set it up as a remote boot
>    workstation since neither of the HDs I got with it are functional. The
>    remote boot host is a linux box with rarp and tftp daemons configured.
>    I set up a NetBSD 1.4.2 / sparc file layout and cp'd the remote loader
>    as specified in the HOWTO on my linux box. Then upon power up the 4/110
>    failed to boot from sd(0,0,0), no surprise, no such device :). At the
>    monitor prompt I typed 'b ie()', netboot process starts sucessful
>    retrievel of ip, and then boot loader which promptly crashes with the
>    message:
>
>    Memory alignment error with PC 0x0037D2C. Instruction "0xC6222004".
>
>    Any ideas?
>
>    -Gerald
>
>    --
>    /*******************************************************************
>    * glassman1@neonshadow.net ->  Lord  Phear  <- ICQ UIN 8838302     *
>    *    ACP II: Reincarnation ->  telnet to neonshadow.net            *
>    *******************************************************************/
>
> I am unsure what this particular one would indicate.  However, I sometimes
> have to do a complete reset of 4/110 to get booting working.
>
> However, the support for the 4/110 [in my opinion] has gone a little
> stale.  The last time I tried my 4/110 [1.4C] the 'sw' driver was broke
> and unusable and serial port traffic would be dropped if ethernet traffic
> was occuring at the same time.  This made it hard to use a serial console.
> Before 1.4C promlib would not work properly, but this appears to have been
> delt with.  You might try a recent snapshot instead of 1.4.2.
>
> I have not tried it lately, but it is on my list of things to do.
>
> Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
> [finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]

I dun have another bsd system to tinker from. :o\ I just pulled down
1.4.1 and the bootloader works now, but the sparc is having trouble
retrieving it's kernel over the network. At least it's getting it's ip,
and the bootloader and it's bootparams now... Just need to nudge it the
rest of the way... I almost wish I had a working HD for it, i've got a
bootable SunOS installation tape that i've used...

-Gerald

--