Subject: Re: Remote boot for Sun 4/110 box
To: None <glassman1@neonshadow.net>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/04/2000 14:32:11
   I picked up a Sun 4/110 and i'm trying to set it up as a remote boot
   workstation since neither of the HDs I got with it are functional. The
   remote boot host is a linux box with rarp and tftp daemons configured.
   I set up a NetBSD 1.4.2 / sparc file layout and cp'd the remote loader
   as specified in the HOWTO on my linux box. Then upon power up the 4/110
   failed to boot from sd(0,0,0), no surprise, no such device :). At the
   monitor prompt I typed 'b ie()', netboot process starts sucessful
   retrievel of ip, and then boot loader which promptly crashes with the
   message:

   Memory alignment error with PC 0x0037D2C. Instruction "0xC6222004".

   Any ideas?

   -Gerald

   --
   /*******************************************************************
   * glassman1@neonshadow.net ->  Lord  Phear  <- ICQ UIN 8838302     *

I am unsure what this particular one would indicate.  However, I sometimes
have to do a complete reset of 4/110 to get booting working.

However, the support for the 4/110 [in my opinion] has gone a little
stale.  The last time I tried my 4/110 [1.4C] the 'sw' driver was broke
and unusable and serial port traffic would be dropped if ethernet traffic
was occuring at the same time.  This made it hard to use a serial console.
Before 1.4C promlib would not work properly, but this appears to have been
delt with.  You might try a recent snapshot instead of 1.4.2.

I have not tried it lately, but it is on my list of things to do.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]