Subject: Re: Making a SPARC bootable CD-ROM.
To: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
From: None <rob@olg.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/31/2000 11:42:28
Wes,

There is a program in the NetBSD distribution which does this.
You need a boot images (i.e. one of the install floppies) and
an ISO image containing a live NetBSD filesystem and also the
install (tgz) files.

You can also use the program (mkbootcd) that I submitted last
April along with a patch to make CD installs run very much
faster and eliminates special formatting requirements from the
ISO image (i.e. you can just put the install files these).
It's in the GNATS database at:

http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=7457

The documentation at the start of the mkbootcd.c program
describes the disc layout, the sparc boot process, and
partition table format.

The primary difference between the distributed program and
mine is that mine runs under FFS from the boot floppy image
and the distributed one only uses the bootstrap off the
floppy image but then runs under the ISO image.
This gives two benefits:

  1) it runs way faster (FFS vs ISO speed diff is not trivial off CD)
  2) the iso image (not the boot disc image) can be _anything_
     you want (it doesn't have to be formatted like an installed
     NetBSD filesystem whereas the one in the distrib puts some
     messy requirements on the ISO image)

One caveat, you have to build the image on a sparc (it would work
on other architectures but I didn't verify word sizes or network
byte order for the partition table entries).

so, step by step:

   apply the patch
   re-build the boot floppies (i.e. go down into the tree and type make)
   put the install files (tgz) somewhere and make an ordinary ISO image
containing them
   run mkbootcd with the boot floppy filename and the ISO image filename
   burn the CD

Ps: if (when you build the ordinary ISO image) you specify the -B option
    and an i386 boot floppy image, you get a disc that boots on both i386
    and sparc.

At 11:46 AM 3/28/00 -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
>Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
>I would like to make a bootable CD-ROM containing NetBSD-SPARC 1.4.2 for
>myself and a few friends.  I've searched the mail list archives and have
>not found any pointers or instructions on how to do this.  I'm a generally
>clueful BSD programmer/user/administrator, but not all that familiar with
>creating distros.  Any clues, or pointers to documentation, you can provide
>will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>--
>            "Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
>
>Wes Peters
Softweyr LLC
http://softweyr.com/