Subject: Re: be0 & 100MBd ?
To: NetBSD SPARC port <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/30/2000 07:28:35
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

#
#
# [ please CC: me as i'm not subscribed to this list ]
#
# I just plugged a BicMac ethernet card into my SS5 running 1.4.2A, and
# wonder how to get it doing 100MBd. I've told the switch it's connected to
# doing autosensing and also tried hardwiring 100baseTX, but no difference.
# The other side is fine with 100MBd.

I'm not sure what 100MBd is supposed to mean, but from what I know of the
BE, it will only run at 100MB half-duplex.

# The card's recognized as:
#
# qec0 at sbus0 slot 2 offset 0x20000: 128K memory
# be0 at qec0 slot 0 offset 0x0 level 4 (ipl 7) rev 1 address 08:00:20:20:e2:54
# be_tcvr_init: MGMTPAL=fff8<INT_MDIO>

Wow!  We support the thing?  That's way cool!

# "ifconfig be0" shows:
#
# be0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
#         media: Ethernet 100baseTX (10baseT half-duplex)
#         status: no carrier
#
# Why does it still say "(10baseT half-duplex)" in parantheses, and why does
# the status always say "no carrier", though the network is up?

Could it be that it's trying to talk 10baseT/2 because it can't seem to
talk any other way to the other end, and because the other end is running
100BaseTX (full duplex?  remember be only does half-duplex at 100!),
it doesn't detect that the network is running properly?

Are you able to send/receive on the interface, or is the "no carrier"
message accurate (i.e. can't talk out that interface to save your life)?

# Also, is the funny klicking from some relais(?) on the card normal when
# running ifconfig?

That I don't know.  I have a fellow here with a be card, but no drivers
(he's running under Solaris 2.7 -- support for these cards was dropped
after 2.3 or 2.4, I think).

# Any hints? Thanks!

#   - Hubert
#
# --
# Microsoft: "Where do you want to go today?"
# Linux:     "Where do you want to be tomorrow?"
# BSD:       "Are you guys coming, or what?"

Yeheh.

				--*greywolf;
--
	OpenSource is NOT exclusive to Linux.  Explore your options!