Subject: Re: kernel differences?
To: Paul Civati <paul@xciv.org>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/30/2000 06:19:01
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Paul Civati wrote:

> > Can someone give a quick expalation of the differences between GENERIC and
> > GENERIC.MP?
>
> GENERIC.MP adds support for detection of multiple processors on machines
> that have them.
>
> But seeing as there is currently (although work in progress) no SMP
> functionality in the kernel the usefulness other than looking quite
> cool ;) is debatable.
>
> I suppose it's the beginnings of the architecture dependent part.

Excellent!  So there are no differences in terms of "when two cpus are
installed, bit x must be twiddled clockwise so that things continue to
work..." type of changes to it?  One should be able to interchange GENERIC
and GENERIC.MP on _any_ machine with any number of CPUs?

I realize that the second, third, etc... CPU isn't going to be used yet.

Thanks again,

-Jon
 "Can you count my penny?" | NetBSD on i386, Alpha, VAX, NeXT, SPARC,
 "One!"                    | Mac68k, and hopefully more...