Subject: Re: second ethernet port
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/15/2000 16:23:43
On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 09:43:10AM -0500, Jon Lindgren wrote:
[snip]
> I also have a qec/be running, although I must say that the 100BT
> performance on that card is generally lackluster for me,
> and the media selection seems untrustworthy (it claims full duplex, but
> two different switches and a link to another 100BT FDX card all claim it
> was still running in half).  The qec/be, despite it's peculiarities, is
> stable, though.  I'm waiting for the hme support ;-)
>
> -Jon

My qec/be (which I use at 10bT so I can't comment on the 100bT performance)
comes up half-duplex every time. Here's the output from ifconfig be0:
be0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet 10baseT (10baseT half-duplex)
        status: no carrier
        atalk 65280.80 range 0-65534 phase 2 broadcast 65280.80
And dmesg:
qec0 at sbus0 slot 1 offset 0x20000: 128K memory
be0 at qec0 slot 0 offset 0x0 level 4 (ipl 5) rev 1 address
08:00:20:0b:d9:12
be_tcvr_init: MGMTPAL=fff8<INT_MDIO>

A bit later in the dmesg output it's got several lines of this:
be0: selecting 10baseT half-duplex
be_tcvr_init: MGMTPAL=fff8<INT_MDIO>

(I believe it comes up with that when ifconfig is run on it to configure the
ip address. My ifconfig_be0 (or whatever it's called these days) is just the
ipaddress and netmask. I don't know why it's there more than once though. It
also makes a clicking noise at that point)
Despite these pecularities it works just fine so I'm not complaining. ;)

--
-Simon Raahauge DeSantis