Subject: Re: Userspace PPP
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Murphy <sean@cbrmain.cbr.nrc.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/09/2000 16:22:53
On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 03:55:17PM -0400, Sean Murphy wrote:
>
>  > Besides which, I've gotten it to work with FreeBSD's userspace ppp, and
>  > haven't gotten it to work (reliably) with in kernel ppp stuff, so I'd just
>  > like to stick with what works rather than banging on stuff that I may or
>  > may not be able to get running in the long run.
>
> Well, PPP is a little heavyweight for such a thing... If it were me, I'd
> use if_tun.c with a little custom-written program to take the packets and
> beam them over a TCP connection.
>
> Or, you could use the ssh-based VPN packages we have in pkgsrc/net to
> even get encryption for basically free.  (tho, not sure if those use
> PPP or tun.)

The only problem with that is that most VPN packages use GRE and/or UDP
for these tunnels.  This is the whole reason I need a tunnel to an
external network.  I need to be able to have a route upon which I run all
my software which needs GRE and or UDP packets to connect/communicate
(ICQ, for one).  If I could tunnel out to my home system, I could run my
ICQ through the proxy server on that system.  All GRE and UDP stuff
(incoming and outgoing) is discarded at our firewall.

--Sean