Subject: Re: New Boot Load Doesn't Work on IPX
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/29/2000 12:54:58
>> A classic PIC application that has little/nothing to do with shared
>> libs.

> Unfortunately, PIC code is often a bit slower, due to extra loads
> required, and cache thrashing (referencing the GOT/PLT).

Fortunately, the bootloader is not speed-critical.

It does occur to me that there is a problem here waiting to happen.

If the bootloader RELOC value was moved because the INSTALL kernel is
too big to fit with the old value, that means that kernel is pushing
four megs.  If it is pushed past four megs, it ain't never gonna work
on an ELC with a 4M SIMM in the first slot, 'cause the next 12M just
ain't there.

Or is it okay if the kernel is loaded not physically contiguous?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca