Subject: Re: Sparc-10 memory problems?
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/24/2000 18:32:09
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 05:56:24PM +0000, Tim Walls wrote:
>> The memory on this machine seems to be somewhat problematic...  Apparently,
>> it's all in the right slots, but Solaris doesn't like it (memory alignment
>> errors.)  NetBSD evidently doesn't, but apparently a really ancient version
>> of RedHat Linux (spit) will boot OK on it.
>
> Sorry to question you, but the order of simms is very odd on these machines.
> I've had the identical error before, when I was given machines with simms
> in the wrong slots.
>
> This was what I followed to resolve it:
> http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.208.1/SMSS10/@Ab2PageView/3962?DwebQuery=sparc
> +OR+10&Ab2Lang=C&Ab2Enc=iso-8859-1

Thanks - you're a hero!

My fault for believing what I was told I suppose <grin> - the next time
anyone says "well it's installed like that on all the other ones" I'm
going to slap them ;-)

Oh well, sorry for bothering you all!  On the bright side, there will
soon be one more NetBSD/Sparc star in the sky :-).  (And my NetBSD/i386
box has received a suitable ego boost from being the boot server :*)

Cheers,
Tim.

--
Tim Walls