Subject: Re: Large memory capable snapshots, please?
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/23/2000 23:36:03
> 	Hello folks.  I'm eager to try the 1.4P stuff, but on my
> Sparc 5 with 256MB of memory, the snapshots won't boot.  Could someone make
> a kernel of the 19991223 sources that's capable of booting a machine with
> 256MB of memory?

The sparcbook that built 19991223-sparc is available for this.
Send me diffs against GENERIC or something and I'll build one.

> How hard would this be to be a standard part of the
> distribution/snapshot cycle?

Not too difficult, for snapshots at least. I'm already handling a similar
case on mac68k, for people who need an alternate SCSI driver on some
combinations of Macs & older hard drives.

But for the official tree, it's less clear. When the UBC (Unified Buffer
Cache) stuff is put into -current, it should make autosizing on large
machines a standard feature and elminate the need for 'large memory'
kernel configs. This is probably why no one has committed a BIGMEM config
file on sparc yet.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com