Subject: Classic boot net-tpe help
To: port -sparc <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald G. Knecht <msspal@gbso.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/21/2000 12:35:00
SUN newbie!
i am trying to get my SuSE 6.3 machine set up to act as a rarp server
for my classic.
(my motive is to install NetBSD via NFS, there is no cdrom or floppy on
the classic)
the diskless howto says that Linux has to have rarp compiled into the
kernel or loaded as a module.
i loaded it as a module. running the arp comands works as the howto
describes, running the rarp command gets me the error message described
in the howto:

6.# /sbin/rarp -s client CC:CC:CC:CC:CC:CC
         If RARP is not compiled into your kernel, you will get one of
the two following error messages:

         SIOCSRARP: Invalid argument

does this mean that this error is normal or acceptable? or does this
mean i CANNOT run rarp as a loaded module?

btw, the client (classic) reports no error messages as indicated by the
howto.

anyone have any experience with setting up rarp on a SuSE box?

TIA,
don
--
proud Linux user since kernel 1.1.54