Subject: Re: Xsun Dumps core .. (NetBSD Problem #8548)
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/06/2000 08:45:46
oops, and apologies for not adding the answer about -O and -O2 sooner to
the PR.  When I tried that I got:

I have also tried removing the -O2 to see if
  1) bt works better in the debugger
  2) Xsun works better (maybe an optimization bug?)

and the result is
  1) Xsun no longer crashes (yay)
  2) Xsun no longer works right :(

When I run Xsun that is compiled without -O or -O2, it starts and sort of
works, but the screen is messed up.  Visually it looks like pixels that
should be written to one part of the screen end up getting written to
another part of a screen.  I can pull up windows and see parts of them,
but other parts dont look right and when I move one around I get weird
artifacts that show up on other parts of the screen (and stay there).  Its
a bit hard to describe any better with words.

-Dan

(I just sent this part to the pr as well)