Subject: None
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/05/2000 18:13:32
   >> I've never run pkgsrc X and am not likely to, largely because I
   >> think it's rather badly broken to take XFree86 (which is basically
   >> Intel-specific) and try to twist it back into something MI - even if
   >> it's the XFree86 people doing it, it still means that everyone,
   >> Intel or not, gets a server with an Intel bias.

   > huh?

   Which part don't you understand?  It was (and is) my understanding that
   pkgsrc X is basically XFree86.  XFree86 is basically Intel-specific
   (witness the very name).  The X in pkgsrc has been bashed on to make it
   run on other hardware, true - and that's what I'm saying I feel is
   "rather badly broken": to take a perfectly good X system, cast the
   whole thing in an Intel mold (ie, XFree86), and then try to deIntelify
   again.  I'm using X11R6.4p3, and it didn't even take significant work.

i think someone else answered this mostly but as an aside..

what did it take in X11R6.4p3?  at one point, all my/the patches
against X11R6.whatever that NetBSD needed were integrated into
the master X sources... we should get anything else needed in
there as well.