Subject: Re: Problem with Second NIC in Sparc Classic
To: Joe Hodge <jhodge@biglizard.net>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/03/2000 13:43:00
> The onboard NIC is fine, and is detected and configured as
> le0 at boot time.  The second NIC is an SBUS Sun 270-1881 rev 1
> which is detected and configured as le1 at boot time, but whenever
> ifconfig tries to set the card up, it fails to initialize:
>
> le1 at sbus0 slot 1 offset 0xc00000 level 7: address 08:00:20:1e:3f:ef
> le1: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers
> le1: controller failed to initialize
> le1: controller failed to initialize

Hmm, this probably points out an unhandled case in the bus driver.

Note that `le1' is directly attached to `sbus' here, as opposed to the
more modern approach of having an `ledma' or `lebuffer' glue in between.
This means that the 24-bit address space of the lance chip will be
mapped to sbus space by just forcing the upper 8 bits to all ones.
This is being dealt with on sun4/sun4c machines by the `mainbus' bus
driver which knows about these 24-bit devices attaching to either
mainbus or sbus.

On sun4m machines, the sbus attaches to the `iommu bus' which is
lacking this `24-bit' support. I suppose I'll have to add it.
Can I send you source patches so you can test kernels with your
configuration?

-pk