Subject: 1.4 is very stable on SS2 with serial console
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/04/1999 22:39:50
On Wed 03 Nov, I wrote:
> I have now managed to get the serial console working.
>
> I have hardwired the DTE in both ends to give it's own hardware
> handshaking by hardwiring the CTS to RTS and DTR to DSR. The DCD
> line is also hardwired to DSR.
>
> I am using a null-modem cable by connecting RxD to TxD and vice versa.
>
> The terminal I am using is a serial connection from my NCD HMXpro
> X-terminal using 8N1.

Not any more. The box is brought home and now hooked up to my local
LAN using a 386SX/20 booting DR-DOS 6.0 and MS-Kermit from floppy.

It is connected to the Internet via a Shiva Accessport ISDN router
that is using Shiva's own protocol similar to NAT called DIAT (Dialup
Internet Address Translation).

This box will not be used for production use, so I plan to play around
with the OS to learn more about NetBSD and play around.
I will also use it for:
- NFS server for my local network.
- Web server for my local network.
- DNS server for my local network.
- SUP client and/or local CVS server.
	- This will then be used to build current for my Risc PC and
	maybe the SS2.
- Whatever else I can come up with.

If someone wants me to test anything, then please let me know
and I will do it.

NetBSD 1.4 has been rock solid so far, and I haven't seen any problems
so far.

Again, thanks for making this happen!

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no