Subject: Re: memory testing?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/16/1999 15:14:23
> > Thanks, test /memory did indeed show up problems with one of the
> > simms.  Reseating it so far appears to have made the problem go away.
> > Everything appears to work and test /memory no longer complains.

Actually no.  The thing played up again today in exactly the same way.
All the trouble starts when my son runs netscape (on the solaris box -
a classic).  After that top, dmesg and anything else that wants to
read kernel memory hangs.

Stop-A and test /memory showed errors with both sims in bank0 (memory
unaligned!).  (Yes I was testing all 64M). So I ripped those sims out
and replaced them with the ones in bank1.  test /memory was happy and
the machine booted ok but as soon as my son ran netscape she's dead
again.

I rebooted.  logged in and ran top - ok.  So I told my son to slogin
to the NetBSD box and run netscape from there :-)

Now I suspect it is not faulty memory.

--sjg