Subject: Re: Sun Ultra 5 UltraSPARC systems for $1,995
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: None <patl@phoenix.volant.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/06/1999 13:52:18
On  6-Oct-99 at 13:22, Greywolf (greywolf@starwolf.com) wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Erik E. Fair wrote:
>
> # http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/19991005/tc/sunmicro_pc_2.html
> #
> Peripheral bus is PCI.
> All the periphery is IDE (reading ain't bad, writes are slow as hell).

IDE does suck; but it keeps the costs down.

>      You could put SCSI there but unless it's got an OBP on it, you
>      won't be able to boot from it.  Sun PCI SCSI ain't cheap.

Not necessarily a  problem.  Boot from the IDE and run from the SCSI.

> CPU speed is 250MHz.

No, the slowest Ultra5 they are currently offering is 360MHz.  (They
offer a 333Mhz version, but it is faster than the 360 because it has
a -much- bigger cache.)

> I wouldn't want one, but your mileage may vary.

Eventually I'll need to replace my SS2; and I'll need to have a SPARC/
Solaris box available.  Unless I can convince one of my customers that
they should pay for it, low cost is likely to be a high-order bit when
that day comes.  So far, this looks like the best bet.

If it had USB and FireWire, it might actually look good...

-Pat