Subject: Re: MAC addresses on multiple SBUS cards
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/04/1999 22:35:46
> Is there a way to assign different MAC addresses to different sbus
> network cards in a sparc 5?

Yes, but I believe it will mean kernel hacking.

Look up the source code to the relevant network driver and you'll see
that it feeds the card its MAC address during initialization.  If
nothing else, you can tweak this code.

If done right, you could change it with ifconfig or moral equivalent,
but that could end up demanding nontrivial code restructuring if the
drivers weren't designed with that possibility in mind....

> We'd like to connect both ports to the same switch (on different
> virtual LANs)...and having the same MAC address on multiple ports
> seems to drive these switches nuts.

If they're on different (non-overlapping) vlans, this is a bug in the
switch and you should get its maker to fix it.  MAC addresses have
always been specified as unique up to host, not up to interface.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca