Subject: Re: solaris sources
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Michael Jinks <mjinks@bsd.uchicago.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/01/1999 13:55:18
--------------41B2E4586DBE9FA479714A31

Agreed.

In the comments in response to the article on ZDNet, Bruce Perens said
something like, "This won't help Sun at all, the OpenSource OS's (I
think he said Linux, whatever) will just copy Solaris without copying
the source."

I've always wondered about that.

If it's that easy, why doesn't [insert name of your least-favorite
closed-source *X here] just pick and choose features from the
open-source OS's, rename all the variables or something slightly less
superficial, and carry on?

I know this is an open question in general (AKA, "Do OSS licenses really
have any teeth?"), but it's interesting to me that we're now seeing
another side of it.

Ah, well.

-m

mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> seems Sun is making solaris sources available, but any changes have to be
> given to them.  Still, it may help in determining how certain hardware
> works.  Of course the trick is learning how the hardware works and then
> forgetting the solaris code.
>
> http://yahoo.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-428817.html
>
> -Dan
--------------41B2E4586DBE9FA479714A31

begin:vcard
n:Jinks;Michael
tel;fax:773-702-2280
tel;work:773-834-3858
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of Chicago Biological Sciences Division
version:2.1
email;internet:mjinks@bsd.uchicago.edu
title:Enterprise Systems Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;924 E.57th Street=0D=0ARoom 015;Chicago;IL;60637;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Michael Jinks
end:vcard

--------------41B2E4586DBE9FA479714A31--